Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Things

While making lunches this morning I heard The Girl singing this:

Jeremiah had a bull frog! He was very, very, green...

Now I can't get that tune out of my head, and I have to keep reminding myself that Jeremiah was the bullfrog. Also, I keep wondering how in the world does she know that song?

This week I am very excited to be getting ready for a highly anticipated weekend. Which is why the blog may be slow. My dear friend meh is coming from the Big Cold North to thaw out for a couple of days, and I am preparing for her arrival.

With the weather predicted to be in the high 70's/low 80's for the weekend, it will be perfect for my parka wearing friend.

OK: one more thing. I joined a book club with a gal I met at church. We'll call her SmartGirl.

SmartGirl emailed me the book list, and now I am scared. I know my friend is like, really, really smart, but I think that the rest of this group may all be smarty-pants's too. The books they have chosen are, well...let's just say, if I was in high school I'd have found the Cliff Notes, quick! And I'm being totally serious. You are listening to a woman who has read many a Cliff Note.

Right now we are reading Whose Body? by Dorothy L. Sayers. Sayers was an English author known for her detective fiction. It was written in 1923, with English humor and style. I am one of those crazy people who doesn't often find British humor all that funny. I just don't get it.

I am really trying to work through this small novel but it's been very slow going. I picked it up almost a week ago and I am still on page 25. It's not that it's hard reading as much as it's different reading.

However what really scares me is the book after this one, Quo Vadis: A Narrative of the Time of Nero by Henryk Sienkiewicz. Hello? if there ever was a time for Cliff notes, this would be it.

The Mister saw it sitting on my bed side table this weekend and asked if he could start reading it, you know for fun, without the incentive of 8 other women who have read it and expect conversation about it. Oy Vey!

He says it's really good. A great book, to get you thinking.

Yeah, like I have time for thinking. Of all things.

Anybody out there reading a good book?

7 comments:

meh said...

I am reading an Agatha Christie book right now...Death in the Vicarage. Nice!!! Hey, maybe she and Dorothy Sayers hung out and had tea and crumpets together and talked shop! Hey, maybe when we drink coffee and eat chocolate this weekend we can compare notes on the varying styles of early 20th century female British mystery writers. Or not. See you soon!!

Megan O. said...

Wow that second one sounds scary. I'm reading "Home to Holly Springs", that's about the depth of my reading. I don't think I'd last very long in that book club!!

Anonymous said...

meh have fun in the sun.........mrs ant rancher

C D said...

does scrapbooking magazines in the bathroom next to the toilet count?

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

I tried to read a Dorothy Sayer's book years ago. I think it was called Red Herring or something like that. Sadly, I didn't make it very far.

Hope you have fun with your friend this weekend.

Anonymous said...

Howdy stranger -- our kids know that song from Ella Enchanted. We miss you, but we're having dinner at your house tonight :-) K1

Susan said...

Whoa, that book list sounds pretty intense. I'm in a Jane Austen book club and we just finished Northanger Abbey and are doing Pride and Prejudice this month...which is probably all I can handle :)