Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Choices


So, I'm still here at home with sick kids, and a sick self, and I just had the heathiest lunch I have eaten in years:

Red Gatorade and a handful of Cheetos.

We're talking the Lunch of Champions here.

Yesterday The Girl laid on the sofa with fever all day long. This same child, who could barely hold her head up, did nothing but talk about how all she wanted to eat was Cheetos. Crunchy, not puffed.

The Mister stopped and picked up a bag for her on his way home from work.

One of the sad symptoms of the respiratory flu is a lack of appetite. Not only do you not feel like eating, but just the energy it takes to prepare something to eat feels like climbing Everest.

Although I am feeling better, neither the appetite, nor the energy, has made it's return, so when the kids asked for Cheetos this afternoon I was lured by it's cheesy goodness.

While I was munching, I mean "lunching", I was taken back to my junior high days when I bought a glazed donut and a Coke for lunch, every single day. Which reminded me of senior year in high school when I my lunch choices had matured to the mystery snack bar "Burrito". Unless they were out, then I would eat a pizza roll-up. Although, now that I think about it, they probably were both the same thing: unidentified food product rolled up in a bread substance.

Even thinking about those lunch memories makes my stomach turn just a bit.

If the snack bar lady was out of both choices then a bag of Doritos or Cheetos were just as good. Of course I beginning to realize by senior year that food choices may contribute to dress sizes so I would always drink diet soda, to even things out.

The good Lord knew what he was doing when He introduced The Mister to me in college. We married the week after he earned his degree in Nutrition and Dietetics!

Speaking of Junior high, do y'all remember KangaRoo tennis shoes? They were the sneaker with the pocket sewn on the side.

I had a pair. In pink, with maroon accents.

It's where I kept my donut money.

5 comments:

meh said...

They really need to bring those back, only make the pocket big enough to also hold a cell phone and my keys. I would buy them!!! Probably. Maybe.

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

Cheetos sounds like a good lunch to me! I don't buy them because if I ever start eating them, I can't seem to stop! They're so yummy. Same with nacho cheese doritos. So addictive!

Anonymous said...

What are cheetos, anyway? I mean, really? How do they get so . . . orange?

Lisa said...

I don't know what this stuff is going around. It lasts too long and takes its toll.

I hope you and your kiddos feel better very soon so you don't have to eat Cheetos.

TJ Wilson said...

Now you've got me thinking about all those school lunches. I actually preferred the friend chicken cutlet thing, remember? With cheetos, of course...