Thursday, March 22, 2007

6% Humidity

OK, so i live in a place that is dry. Very, very dry. The humidity in the last week has been at 6%. So dry that if you don't use lotion and moisturizer and lip balm you will simply dry up and blow away.

But can I tell you that I love 'dry'?

Because, dry weather = great hair.

I love the hair days I am having here. However, today it is overcast and it's threatening to rain. The humidity is at 32%. I could have told you that without looking at the forecast because today my hair is misbehavin'. We desperately need the rain though (and it is so pleasant out) so I won't complain.

I began to realize that maybe I was getting a little caught up in my hair vanity when I was reading from 1 Corinthians 12 where Paul the apostle is talking about the unity of believers as members of Christ's body. The chapter goes on to talk about how all members of the body are useful. Then Paul tries to help Christians understand this concept by using an example of the human body which has lots of parts working for one purpose. I was reading from The Message translation to get a different prospective and to try to understand. It ends with a question that made me laugh...only because I had to talk myself into the right answer. Here is what I read:

But I also want you to think about how this keeps your significance from getting blown up into self-importance. For no matter how significant you are, it is only because of what you are a part of. An enormous eye or a gigantic hand wouldn't be a body, but a monster. What we have is one body with many parts, each its proper size and in its proper place. No part is important on its own. Can you imagine Eye telling Hand, "Get lost; I don't need you"? Or, Head telling Foot, "You're fired; your job has been phased out"? As a matter of fact, in practice it works the other way—the "lower" the part, the more basic, and therefore necessary. You can live without an eye, for instance, but not without a stomach. When it's a part of your own body you are concerned with, it makes no difference whether the part is visible or clothed, higher or lower. You give it dignity and honor just as it is, without comparisons. If anything, you have more concern for the lower parts than the higher.
If you had to choose, wouldn't you prefer good digestion to full-bodied hair?


Hmmm....now that's a tough question!

I figure, somebody's got to be the full bodied hair.

Anyway, all jokes aside, the storms are brewing here and I can hear the thunder and rain outside.

There is something special about rain in the desert. Rain doesn't happen here often, but that's not the only reason it's amazing. It's special because things come to life when given a drink of water. There's a unique smell and refreshment to the air, and the birds still sing because they are happy to rinse off the dust.

So today I'll forgo full bodied hair, cause rain in the desert is worth it.

La Vida Dulce
~

The wild animals honor me,
the jackals and the owls,
because I provide water in the desert
and streams in the wasteland,
to give drink to my people, my chosen

Isaiah 43:20 (NIV)

0 comments: