Wednesday, January 04, 2012

Books and Resolutions





The two questions I have been asked several times in as many weeks are: What books are you reading?  Have you made any resolutions?

Right now I am reading as if I hadn't ever seen a book before. I find myself reading in the bathroom while I am drying my hair or brushing my teeth, when I have down time between subjects in the school day, and sometimes when I should be doing something else... like sleeping or folding laundry.

I always like to read fluff during Christmas break (and always, really) and this year I am nearly finished with a billion reasons why, by Kristin Billerbeck.

My mom sent Killing Lincoln by Bill O'Rielly to my husband...and I stole it. What makes this book of history so interesting to me is that I live (and have been!) to many of the places this history happened.

I asked for the Meaning of Marriage by Timothy Keller for Christmas. I'm only three chapters in, but it is good. Really good.

For a devotional I have been using the Puritan Paperback (easy reader version) of Communion with God which is John Owen's work worded in layman's terms. I could sum up this book in two syllables: Mea-ty. Honestly I have been working through this book for the last nine months. It's not a quick read, but worth the time.

On my Kindle App, I have been reading Fast Food Nation by Eric Schlosser, and In Defense of Food by Michael Pollan. You may remember these journalists from a documentary that came out a year or two ago called Food Inc.

That documentary prompted last years resolution, or goal as I am wont to call them, to go back to an old habit I had when my kids were younger (and the wallet leaner): intentional meal planning and preparing, in particular, dinner planning.

The story of how I went from healthful eating to not-so-much-healthful-eating is a long story better saved for another day, but let's just say the Queen of Twig Eating, Kale Juicing, and Veggie Pushing, found the likes of PopTarts and chicken nuggets as a mainstay in her cupboard. And what's worse? Grew to like them.

Processed foods become so easy to grab when the cook is tired and busy. (Not to mention, not as young as she used to be!)

Currently, meal planning and preparing aren't as much about budgeted-living as it was back-in-the-day. Today it's about time-management, with the added benefit of keeping money in the pocket. My life is different with a full-time job as educator. I no longer have the convenience of home-making full time, it must be balanced with my other full time jobs as mom and teacher.

With last years goal in mind I was able to make great strides in dinner prep and healthful cooking and it feels great to be back on track... but I could step it up a notch in keeping the non-processed foods out of my fridge and pantry, and being intentional not just about dinner, but breakfast and lunch as well. So that is the major goal I have set for the following year.

If this is something you are interested in there is a great blog that I am sure is going to help me in this years goal: 100 Days of Real Food. There are lots of great recipes for ALL meals.

I am also reading several new crafting books, but I think I will post on that tomorrow.

Happy Wednesday and Happy New Year!


5 comments:

Jenster said...

The processed stuff is sooooo easy. And that's the problem. Since I started back at work three years ago I'm exhausted when I get home and I don't have the time to grocery shop like I used to. Well, I do, I just have to be more disciplined.

I have been more intentional about creating meal plans, etc., since I'm now on Weight Watchers which is good for the whole family. It's work, though. And I don't like work! :)

Happy reading!!!

adrienne said...

I'm clicking over to 100 days of real food. I cook a lot and meal plan, but snacks and lunches are harder for me -- or I should say harder for my one picky child. I just wish healthy mac and cheese tasted like Kraft!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like some great goals for the year! I am trying to be more frugal and healthier.. but mostly by jut making our own food. Sounds like some great books you have! Tim and I are reading Real Marriage together :-)

O Mom said...

love new book shout outs!
And remember, homeschooling means that you can put the kids to work in the kitchen too and call it culinary arts class!! ;)

Jennifer M. said...

Ooh - In Defense of Food is a great book! I read that last summer and found it very insightful. I've gotten out of the habit of eating healthy, but I was on quite a roll for awhile! Lol. Maybe this new year is the time for new eating habits!!