Thursday, January 05, 2012

New Beginnings

I served toast with butter and hard boiled eggs for breakfast.

On the outward appearance, its just breakfast, but my thoughts were elsewhere.

Eggs have long been a symbol of new beginnings. 

Last night the four of us sat around the table after dinner, all a bit tired. We played a new board game that confounded us all and we fussed at each other in frustration. Each of us (present company included) let our attitudes color our vision, and said things that weren't as kind as they could have been. Apologies were made and forgiveness declared, but the wounds of sharp words aren't so quickly healed. We all went to bed feeling "weird".

Before sleep came to stay, The Girl tip-toed to me with a sad look in her eye and said she couldn't stop feeling sorry. I hugged her and told her to tuck herself back in the bed, to remember that God loves us more than we can imagine, even when we aren't at our best.  Tomorrow, I told her, she would wake up knowing that "God's mercies are new every morning."

What I told her is true. I know this not because I am wise enough to see it, or good enough to receive it, or rich enough to buy it, but because God's love is lavish; His grace, generous; His mercy, more than I can imagine.

How do I know His mercies are new?

Early today, when the kids came with energy and laughter downstairs for their breakfast I looked up at their faces, and then down at those eggs and felt grateful for the gentle reminder...

I need new beginnings too.

3 comments:

Gretchen said...

Boy, fatigue sure does color attitude, doesn't it?!! Same for us in this house. So grateful for His love & new mercies each day in the form of laughter & smiles.

Such The Spot said...

Oh, friend. Don't we all? I know exactly the "weird" that you all went to bed feeling. Ick. Such a far cry, though, from the new beginning you all felt this morning. Beautifully written...

Marie said...

Never get tired of hearing stories about God's love and grace showing up in the every day stuff of life! Thanks for the reminder. And that sure was a healthy breakfast! Real butter? Just curious...