Friday, July 15, 2011

Making, Doing, and Thinking: A Rambling Post


My apologies to those who visit the blog because I make things.

I know you have been sorely disappointed.

I've been so busy, you know. Laying around at the pool and chatting with girl-friends is seriously hard work.

Actually, this summer has been busy, but its been wonderful.  Its been a time to lay aside the fabrics and yarns to sit face-to-face with people I love. To pour tea, to laugh, to listen... to reconnect, heart-to-heart and enjoy the making and keeping of friends.

I have also enjoyed time to be with my kids... as their mom, apart from the role of educator. Its the same (after all ALL moms are their child's first and primary teacher in life!), and yet, so very different. I sometimes miss it during the school-year.

As a family we've had  a lot of cooking-out...



and eating al fresca... on the deck, yet in the Ring of Fire.


We have five citronella candles on the deck that we light. Its a win-win: they add ambiance, and the bugs stay away.

I do have a few projects on-the-hook. I'm in the middle of a Tea Cozy like this one...only in black/red/white. I'll be sure to post pics when its finished (its hard to photograph black yarn.)

I  had need of some color last night, so I took a black-yarn break and started this real quick before I went to bed....
I'm not sure what this will be, nor what I will do with it... but playing with my favorite colors makes me happy.

I've also been baking: banana bread, carrot-cake cookies, and bread.

I tried my hand at some Five Minute Artisan Bread...mine didn't turn out quite as pretty. But The Mister, said, "This is delicious, did you make it? It tastes like its from the bakery!" Which, as you can imagine, made me very happy...  Hopefully the next batch will look like it was from the bakery too.

My poor neglected garden is so sad. The rabbits ate all my cucumber, and my bell peppers have been poorly from the get-go.  But the tomatoes love this North Carolina heat. I picked three red ripe 'mater's yesterday, and ate them before I could take their picture.

I also had two green ones fall to the ground before their time. If I was a bettin' gal, I would say I see Fried Green Tomatoes in my future. (Can you believe I've lived in the south for nearly 15 years and have never had a fried green tomato?) Anybody got a good recipe?

My bee-lady (aka - local honey supplier - who is also my fresh chicken egg's lady) brought me a dozen yesterday.

I know they are just eggs... but look at how beautiful they are! You can't tell from the picture, but the white ones in the back row are actually blue. They are so fresh there is still a feather on one. Can you see it?

I haven't been as creative in the office this summer, but there has been more room to stretch, to think deeply, to ponder, to read.

This week I have been pondering this old hymn. The words are just so beautiful. So True.

May the mind of Christ my Savior
Live in me from day to day,
By His love and pow'r controlling
All I do and say.

May the Word of Christ dwell richly
In my heart from hour to hour,
So that all may see I triumph
Only through His pow'r.

May the peace of Christ my Savior,
Rule my life in everything,
That I may be calm to comfort
Sick and sorrowing.

May the love of Jesus fill me,
As the waters fill the sea;
Him exalting, self abasing, 
This is victory.

May I run the race before me, 
Strong and brave to face the foe, 
looking only unto Jesus
As I onward go.

The fourth verse is my favorite...

Summer... you are more than half-way through. Onward I go...making, doing, thinking.... stretching.  It all makes me happy.

2 comments:

whimzie said...

It sounds like a wonderful summer to me!

Hope the rest of your summer is even more wonderful!

Gretchen said...

I love eggs fresh from the farm! They are pretty. I've seen blue, green, and all manner of white-brown. YOu're a crochet goddess. Enjoy your 'maters.