Friday, July 22, 2011

Scathingly Brilliant Idea (and it wasn't even mine)

She wants everything to be blue.

I'm not sure why.

I mean, since the moment I knew she was a girl-child I bought-up every pink hair bow and outfit I could find.

Maybe its 'cuz I painted her nursery and several rooms pink without even asking. 

Maybe its 'cuz blue is the farthest you can get away from pink.

 I don't know. I just know she's all about the color blue.

Blue.

Blue hair streaks, blue bedroom walls, blue curtains.


She likes her blue.

I still dabble in pink here and there - in fabric, in yarn - but I've learned that where The Girl is concerned its better to allow her own style shine through. However, when she came to me and told me that she wanted to paint the table her Poppa built for her over a decade ago in her favorite color.... I. just. couldn't. do it.

She loves that table. I tried to convince her that she should get a desk to match her bed and dresser. That toddler size table doesn't quite fit anymore. But she doesn't want to give it up. Not yet... she just wants it to be blue.

So, I was thinking of how could we change the color without permanent damage when The Girl approached me with a scathingly brilliant idea!

(ten points if you can name the movie that quote comes from...its one of my favorite movies (and quotes!))

Nowadays duct tape comes in all sort of fashions and colors. She figured we could cover the table with tape and someday, if she ever loves the color pink purple. We could change it. Or if she will ever allow me to haul it out of her room for a bigger desk and chair, I can uncover the blue tape, take some alcohol wipes to the duct tape stickiness, and have a white table for the grandkids to play on in the (longtime) future.

And, in the pitch that won the game she said, "Its like a craft project we could work on together!"

That Girl, she knows me.

How could I say no?

We bought the tape and rushed home.

We wiped down the table and let it dry. Then we turned it over and started with the legs. This part was more difficult for her to do on her own without the tape bunching up (it was difficult for me too) so she worked on another project until I could get that done.

Then we turned it over and started with the top.

The whole process took about an hour. And we didn't have to prime or clean paint brushes after!

The Girl and I were so excited about it that we are trying to figure out how to do the chairs as well---although honestly, they look overwhelming with all their spindles and curves.

Maybe. Maybe chairs...

We decided to do the legs and trim in silver to give it that 50s formica feel.

She loves it.

And I may have a new crafting obsession...

When The Mister came home and saw our completed project he applauded our efforts in that quiet way he has -- I looked at him with a twinkle in my eye and said, "Yeah! what else do you think needs covering with tape?!"

To which he chuckled and said, "Uh oh. Here we go again..."

At $3.50 a roll, its the cheapest of craft supplies I own!

Happy Friday!

2 comments:

whimzie said...

I want to see a really, really close-up shot! How did you get it so smooth and keep the edges from curling up? I am just amazed at your creation!

Jennifer M. said...

I love this idea! Another brilliant reason why homeschooling is awesome - how else would you have the time for such mother-daughter bonding? Love it!!