Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Whirlwind

I had no intention to take a week off from blogging.

But I did.

Last week was so tightly packed with all things wonderful that I really didn't
have time to think.

First I took in a show with The Carpoolqueen and The Girl. We went to see Wicked: The Musical and I've been singing the music ever since (humming it in my head as I type.) It was truly amazing- as good as anyone said it would be.

Then I celebrated 15 years of marriage to that wonderful man whom I am privileged to share life with - the good, the bad, and all things in between. We celebrated with an Italian dinner. A far cry from that Italian meal I made for him 17 years ago that involved take-out lasagna from Olive Garden and a bottle of Boone's Farm I "borrowed" from my Dad's bar. (The wine had been a gag gift to my dad for his birthday. I didn't know it was cheap wine. Apparently The Mister didn't either, we drank it with ease. Young love is tasteless.)

On Friday I hopped on what was to be a "quick" flight to Tucson for the weekend. A dear friend was to be married at sunset on Sunday. I wasn't going to miss it! But a gully washer that passed over Dallas threatened my journey, which included a four hour trip to Houston and a slumber party in Dallas.

I am grateful for that impromptu night.

I have a friend who has a history of bailing me out of tough spots. Becky, the "Ant Ranchers Wife" (as she has been known around here) has seen me through many tight-spots, so she was the natural one to call in a moment of need. When I realized I was stuck for the night in Dallas I called her and said, "I'm getting a hotel near the airport, do you feel like a slumber party?"

She didn't take time to say "yes!"

She through essentials in the car, stopped at my favorite store for tortillas and chocolate cookies, and made it to the airport in 53 minutes, although she lives over an hour away.

She then proceeded to treat me to a night in Dallas as if I were the Queen of England. She got a room at the Gaylord (i had planned to stay at Comfort Inn) and then paid for room-service dinner while I sat on the bed in a jet-lagged stupor.

It was such a fun evening and I am so grateful to the Ant Rancher and his Wife for giving up their Friday night so I didn't have to spend a night alone.

Becky, you are dear to me and I love you much. Thank you for everything. For loving my lavishly, and being a friend through thick and thin. Next time dinner (and chocolate!) is on me.

It goes without saying that my arrival to the desert was one of gratitude. I don't think I have ever been so grateful to see the mountains, to feel the dry air on my skin.

I had less than 48 hours to visit my parents, my brothers, and their families. I also had to go shopping with my mom, eat Mexican food, drink a PiƱa Colada eegee, shop for a dress with my sister-in-love, celebrate my Dad's birthday, and drop-by a graduation party.

All before the big event: The Wedding - more on that tomorrow.

It was truly a whirlwind weekend. So fun, but too fast.

Meanwhile, back at the La Vida house, The Mister was able to get his hands on my combined Mother's Day/Anniversary gift (which had been on back order). I am typing on it right now, which is why this post has taken approximately way-to-long to type. I am almost embarrassed to tell you that he got me an iPad. Which is why there are typos all over the place. Well, at least I can blame them on the computer now.

To say I am spoiled rotten would be an understatement.

So I just won't say it.

15 comments:

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

Your trip sounds amazing! And an iPad? WOW, that's SO cool Kellie.

CPQ said...

Please step away from the iPad, Kellie. Do it slowly, and no one will get hurt.

And call me if you need a physical intervention.

Tiffani said...

I can't believe we forgot to discuss Wicked when we talked but I guess we were both so stuck in travel time warp these things are quickly oversighted!

Sounds like an amazing trip, crazy how much fun we can pack in to a short time, isn't it?!

I have a feeling your sweet Man doesn't mind the spoiling! ;)

whimzie said...

What a fun post!!!

What a cool friend!

What a crazy travel adventure!!

What an AMAZING gift!

stephanie j. said...

(insert hyperventilation here....) YOU GOT THE iPAD!!!! I'm so happy for you!

Glad you got your Eegee's fix...if you had been only one week later, you would've been able to get the best Eegee flavor in the world, though, ORANGE DREAM! Just got one yesterday, I think it was just released this week...tastes just like an orange creamsicle. AHHHHHHHH......

Sounds like you had a wonderful week.

Jen said...

You are spoiled rotten, but I am just envious and coveting your new iPad. :)

I long for a friend to have an impromptu slumber party! Another reason to be envious!!

Sounds like a total whirlwind, but much fun. Glad you're back to blogging, though!!

Lori said...

Sounds like you had a lovely week! A friend like that is such a gift - what a fun night! Makes me miss my go-to friend!

Enjoy your iPad! My girls call my mom's "Mimi's etch-a-sketch." ;) Cracks me up!

Anonymous said...

Great gift!! So spoiled but deserving at the same time.. can that be? What a weekend!! Yay for impromptu slumber parties and chocolate :-)

Amber said...

So much fun!

Hooray for Wicked!
And for hotel sleepovers!
And for iPads!
And for spoiler husbands!

:)

Gretchen said...

Congrats on 15 years! (We celebrate ours tomorrow!)
What a wonderful trip. Tell Becky I'll be her friend if she ever needs another. ;) How fun... an impromptu girl's night!
I hope Clinton isn't jealous of your new toy.

Gretchen said...

Um...it pains me to ask. But...is the Mister into polygamy? Because I love my husband, but I didn't get no iPad for Mother's Day. I could just be a wife in name only. Whatever gets me what I need. ;)

Glad you had a great trip. Isn't it cool how God arranges those impromptu visits with friends that we "don't have time for", but really need? Sounds like your slumber party was awesome. Love you.

Jewel said...

I totally laughed out loud about your take out lassagna and boons. Too funny! From that to Ipads as Mothers day gifts...wow that's quite a journey;)

Happy belated anniverary and I'm glad you had such a fun weekend. I always enjoy those whirlwinds when they include a bunch of people who I love:)

June Gardens said...

I WONDERED what you were doing being all stranded in Texas. I was reading your Facebook updates, obviously. Glad you made lemons out of lemonade, as Kelly from the Real Housewives would say.

I have to get over my obsession with the real housewives.

Unknown said...

Nice to meet you Kellie! You sound like my kind of gal! Congratulations on your wedding anniversary and your new toys!

Becca @ My Crazy Good Life said...

He bought you an iPad???

You lucky, lucky girl...