Wednesday, May 05, 2010

Where's the Beef?

We had a "tragic" event in the La Vida house last night.

It wasn't so tragic for me, but I'm not sure my husband will get over it.

You see, my Mister is a loyal man. Not just in marriage, but in friendship, at work, at play.

He knows what he likes, and he sticks with it.

This is true with restaurants as well.

And his favorite place to get a burger?

Fuddruckers.

Now, let me tell you that his love for Fuddruckers runs deep. He has loved a 1/2 pound burger-medium well- with-lettuce-tomato on toasted bun for more years than he's loved me.

However, his love grew to even greater heights one Saturday afternoon thirteen years ago. We lived in San Antonio. I was five months pregnant with my first-born, The Boy.

Back then I wasn't a meat eater. As a matter of fact I hadn't eaten meat for over a decade (with exception of that one time I was at a Sunday afternoon BBQ with my church choir friends. That's the infamous day I had three sips of a margarita and FORGOT I was a vegetarian... but that's a story for another time)

Anyway, The Mister will tell you that living with a new bride that refused to put meat in spaghetti sauce or cook tacos with ground beef, was a little trying for a meat and potatoes man.

The things you put up with for love.

He was long-suffering (for 18 months at least), until that wonderful moment when I thought I had the stomach flu, but was actually pregnant. Oops.

One morning, after months of morning all-day sickness, I woke up hungry.

Very hungry.

I was certain that the only thing that would satisfy my hunger was beef. So at 6am in the morning I rolled my burgeoning belly over, looked at The Mister and said with a seriousness I'd never known, "I need beef. Today."

And we sat and watched the clock until it read 11:00a.m.... cuz he knew that the Fuddruckers down the road would be open for business.

That day he heard the angel's singing, and I've been carnivorous ever since.

As a result, we have dined in Fuddrucker's establishments across the country: Los Angeles, San Antonio, Fort Worth, Tucson, Washington D.C., and a several places in between.

When we moved to North Carolina in 2005, he was happy to find that we were within 10 miles of the only Fuddruckers in the three large cities that make up this neck of the woods.

Last night he came home from work with his mind set on a burger. So we all piled in the car and headed out.

You can imagine, given this history, how he felt when we pulled into the parking lot and found it empty.

Well, actually, there was another family parked in the lot, looking at the plywood that was covering the doors. They sat in a stupor, shaking thier heads, with tears in their eyes.

The Mister was speechless.

I thought I might have to drive.

I quickly decided on another restaurant, and through the course of the evening I realized he might be going through the stages of grief :

Denial:

Maybe they're renovating.

Guilt:

I've had meals here almost once a month for two years! I've had meetings here, and date nights with you, and shared burger's with family and friends... I guess it wasn't enough....

Anger:

This is ridiculous! That wasn't just a favorite restaurant! It was the only place I could count on a decent burger!

And then, as we sat down at the new, unfamiliar, restaurant, he went into the next phase - 


Reflection, loneliness and silence: 

I was asking him questions about his day to start conversation.

He would only give one word answers.

Soon we were sipping lemonade and he entered the final phase:

The Upward Turn and Acceptance.

This is when I made my swoop.

"Hey, since we're out, how do you feel about going to the Apple store and checking out the iPad? Mother's Day is just around the corner!

{Insert cheesy grin}

Cuz nothing say's  let-me-console-your-grieving-heart more than let's-look-at-$500-gadgets i don't really need.

I know, now you can see that he married me for my sweet and compassionate ways. I've tried so long to hide it.

19 comments:

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

Oh no! What happened to Fuddruckers? That's tragic, but your post was super funny!

Next time try FiveGuys or Smashburger or Fatburger. They probably don't compare, but we love 'em.

Anonymous said...

So do the stages of grief include the buying of an iPad?! You left out that part of the story!!

I've grieved the closing of many an eating establishment. My prayer is always that they put up something equally as good or better in its place as soon as possible or just tear the whole place down.

Nothing's worse than having to drive by the shell of what once was a place of dream fulfillment.

Please send on my condolences to The Mister.

Carpool Queen said...

There's a Fudd's near me! Or were you at that one? My mister loves it as well. We can double date or we can be nine and bring everyone.

Rebecca said...

So did you get an Ipad and can we see a picture? :)

Tiffani said...

I share mad love with the Fudd's along with the Mister and guess what??? BOTH of the ones near us closed too??!!!!!!!! What's up, Fudd??!!!

I've GOT to go to the Five Guys in Atlanta since everyone says it's in the same category as Fuddruckers (I'll be the judge of that one though).

Mourning with the Mister,

Tiff ;)

O Mom said...

That was so sad, (and funny)!
Sorry for your loss.

The Lord Family said...

What about Fat Daddy's, Five Guys or Char-Grill? I prefer Char-Grill's burgers and Five Guys fries...

The Lord Family said...

What about Fat Daddy's, Five Guys or Char-Grill? I prefer Char-Grill's burgers and Five Guys fries...

Tanya said...

I have never eaten at Fuddruckers. We have one; I've just never gone. We also have Bobby's Burger Palace, which I L-O-V-E. See if you've got one down there. I think The Mister would approve.

On a completely different note, Zach is all into dinosaurs lately. I have learned that "creditors" are dinos that want to eat you. "Carnivals" only eat meat while "Herbie-doors" eat plants and "All-the-doors" eat everything. :)

stephanie j. said...

I completely understand. I don't know what I'll do when we lose Eegee's due to our move. I'm STILL missing Kidd Valley hamburgers (Seattle thing) and it's been 13 years since.

Nice swoop - did you make it to the Apple Store? I've been dropping hints for a month now. None have stuck. Mr. Bike Man thinks the iPad is folly. I've tried to explain that it will be VERY helpful on our trip :) Perhaps an iTouch???

Jen said...

I am so sorry for Mister La Vida's loss. Please pass on my condolences.

So....did you get an iPad? Do tell!

And yes, you sound just about as compassionate as moi! :)

Anonymous said...

hehe I grew up on fuddruckers! I can't believe the one by you closed!! When Tim and I did premarital counseling we took tests about our personalities! I was not very sensitive/compassionate per the test. So whenever Tim needs some consoling I just remind him of that little fact (jokingly of course).

Anonymous said...

So sorry for the Mister. Guess you missed the notice in the paper last week - Fuddrucker's declared bankruptcy - they are all closed now.

Jenster said...

They're just gone? No explanation? That's just wrong!

So did you get the iPad????

Elizabeth said...

We love Fuddruckers too, esp. since we can all eat there for $20! And since I've been pregnant I crave beef all the time. Hoping you can find another one close to you soon!

meh said...

We mourned the loss of Red Hot and Blue up here in Yankee-ville. But just in the knick of time, just down the street from the old place, came a Famous Daves. BUT they just dont have the same potato salad...

Tell him I am so sorry for his loss. (:

Stephanie said...

Our N'ville one closed several years ago so we've been at a loss for sometime. Actually I've only been there one time, but I understand the irrational attachment to a favorite restaurant. (Ahem, Sonic route 44 anyone?) : )

Amy said...

I've had many burgers at Fuddruckers. Wonderful because (in my low-carb days) I could load up my bun-less patty with as many toppings as I wanted with no scornful looks from the employees. Can I hold out hope that the one near me is still open?

Jewel said...

I've never heard of Fuddruckers but this post is hilarious! I wasn't exactly a meat eater either and somehow I married a man who would eat a big steak every night (he did while we were dating and I guess I didn't notice). Yeah, he wasn't a fan of meatless spaghetti either and I felt like I went from one extreme to the other. We've found some balance now thankfully. Meat is expensive.