Thursday, May 20, 2010

People Who Need People

My heart has been full over the past few weeks and its been hard to put words to the feelings...but I'm going to try.

I have been keenly aware of the impact of "people" in my life. People that I feel so grateful to know.

Many of them would never even know the impact they have, or have had, upon my heart. They would have no clue as to the profound ways they have encouraged me to persevere, to think differently, or to try new things. They don't know how they have been a catalyst in the molding and shaping of the woman I am, and the woman I am becoming.

I spent time tonight going back through the archives of the blog, and I realized that many of the posts I've written have been influenced by those who walk(ed) through life beside me.

Then I read some of the comments you and others have written in response to these posts. Those comments have encouraged me, enabled me, and gave me something to laugh about when I needed it. You have shared your struggles and your joy. You have commiserated and cheered, and I am just so glad to know you through this crazy community we call the "net".

I am not certain why I felt like I needed to write this except that often times we don't get the opportunity to say thank you to people who influence us.

It's been said that it takes a village to raise a child. I am so grateful that while I was growing up, and now as I raise children of my own, I have had my fair share of strong, brave, smart and beautiful women who have, and still do, influence my life (both in this community and in my "real-life" community), and I am exceedingly grateful.


~~~

I'd love to hear about someone who has influenced you. Was it a teacher, a neighbor, a friend in college?

7 comments:

Kristin said...

Well I just want to say that reading so many of your posts has been a blessing to ME - your thoughtful writing and openeness and tender heart always blesses me. Thank you!

Gretchen said...

I'm sorta crabby w/him right now, so this is really mature of me...but hands down, my biggest influence of all (other than God) is my husband. We've been lifelines for the better part of 26 years & married almost 20. He's my rock, my sounding board, my best friend, & biggest fan. And I'm his. As far as women influences...my first 2 bosses, who are now lifelong friends, Connie & Ginia taught me prioritization, grace under pressure, and excellence I patient care. I truly had the best.

And my precious women friends, in & out of my computer? Their prayers, encouragement, & love lift & inspire DAILY.

O Mom said...

I thought that I never really believed in the whole it takes a village thing, but I am amazingly becoming more aware of how much I do need those around me. I love that in some sense you can choose your own village, like people like you and other blogs I have chosen to read to encourage, inspire, and challenge me.
So thankful myself.

Mindy said...

Hi! I found you via Deidre at For Such A Time as This.....
There are many influences in my life. BUT as a pw myself - one of my biggest influences has been my "preacher's wife" from my home church. They served my church from the time I was 16 until I was 25. THe ways in which she inspired me to be the godly woman God intends me to be are countless and she still influences me on a regular basis on being a PW!

Anonymous said...

oo there are so many! But one that problem doesn't realize his impact and that I never got to thank was my 4th grade teacher Mr. Graves. He was my first male teacher he treated everyone with such respect! He taught me how to play basketball (along w/ all the kids). Ever recess he played basketball with anyone that wanted to play. He taught us tricks and skills. But he mostly taught us good sportsmanship, dedication, practice, be passionate and to believe in our selves. I dont think I ever saw him after 4th grade but he impacted my life forever.

Michele said...

My Papa. . . definitely my Papa and my step-grandmother, who died when I was 14. Oh yes, and my father-in-law . . Sweet post!

Amber said...

Love this post....

I can sit around and feel uber-sorry for myself and feel like I have no one in the world on my side. And then I start thinking. And amazing amazing people flood my mind. I've taken so many of them for granted and walk through the days of my life very unappreciative most of the time for their influences and sacrifices....

But what an incredible blessing to have so much love lavished on me.

Thanks for the reminder to be ever-grateful.