Monday, May 31, 2010

Poolside Post: Memorial Day

I couldn't think of a better day for my first poolside post of the summer season.

Before I continue, I want to sincerely thank those servicemen and women who have fought for our freedom, forsaking their own lives. And while we're here, a big thank to those who continue to fight for freedom.

We live in the greatest country in the world, but it doesn't come cheap.

Today, the LaVida family is enjoying a day of R & R. We are sitting by the pool, reading, and generally enjoying a day without to-do lists and agendas. Later we are going to enjoy things that always feel like a holiday to us: meat cooked over flame, potato chips, and quite possibly ice cream sundaes.

We are also eating copious amounts of Skittles and Cowtales candies, because tomorrow is the day when my little "brace face" will be getting serious in her orthodontia journey. After today, there will be at least 24 months without chewy, sticky, and hard foods.

(My kids of course think they have hit the mother-load because the only time we ever have free-for-all candy feasts is Easter and Christmas.)

I plan to enjoy this R&R day to its fullest. This week will be full as I tie up loose ends, and prepare for next year. I have one more week of personal/homeschool organization, several meetings, and a few embroidery orders to fulfill, and then I will be able to officially call it summer!!!!!

Well, it looks like a storm may be brewing. I better get some pool time before they kick us out for storms! I hope you have a fun and restful holiday!


9 comments:

stephanie j. said...

Sounds loverly :)

We were at the Base pool yesterday here in the blazing hot desert...you know your kids are heat-spoiled when they whine, "Mommy, it's COOOOOOLD in here because there's a little breeze and the air temp is 99.

Enjoy your Day!

Anonymous said...

What is a Cowtail?

Mom

Sandy said...

Thankful with you for all those who serve/have served our country to protect our freedoms!

Gretchen said...

Glad about your poolside post, the cowtails, the R &R, & most especially, the servicemen & women, both living and departed, who made our country so great.

53* & rainy, but a happy, restful weekend for us, too.

Rae said...

Enjoy your restful day!! We're getting the rain and thunderstorms tomorrow afternoon. The girl's school has already called to say field day is cancelled tomorrow. But today is great!!

Elizabeth said...

Sounds like a perfect summer day to me! All we need is a pool and we're having the exact same kind of day (minus the cowtales, what are those?).

Anonymous said...

oo yay for a pool side post :-) oo cow tails love those!!

Kristin said...

I hope things go well for the girl!Is she getting her braces on today? Bring advil with you and have her take it as soon as you're done!

Becca @ My Crazy Good Life said...

Yum... cowtails...

Good luck with the braces! My little guy and I thought of all the stuff you can still eat with braces... milkshakes, ice cream, m&m's... yum...