Friday, November 01, 2013

Thankful Day 1: Church Family


I hope I never waste a moment of life in wishing for something else. I know I wouldn't be satisfied by what wasn't meant to be. Still, I often yearn for gifts that only time can gather.

For instance, here in this place we've called home for five years, I've longed for deep community.

I have had a real taste of sweet fellowship in the past, and in a handful of dear friendships fostered in surprising places on the road. Moving across the country several times in the last 17 years has allowed a taste of community in bites and chews. Sweet friendships that have held the test of time, and will never be severed despite the gap. But, when the tent is packed up, and caravan gets moving, loving at a distance is not quite the same. I prefer sitting in a kitchen, over cups of tea, sharing the dailies of living life.


What I've longed for is a community that I can grow with; and they can grow with me. Families and friends, who will share their troubles, share their joys. I want to go to the weddings of children I knew when they toddled. I want to pray prayers that cannot be rapidly known, allowing the opportunity to learn faithfulness, to share in the gratitude of a longing fulfilled.  I want to experience life with those who want to be known in the dusty and dirty, the sunny and sweet.

I have longed to be in a community that holds one another up, for the long haul, in laughter and truth. I've ached for, and waited, and (honestly) worried, that it might not happen the way I had hoped.

Yet, all things work together.

That is what I am thankful for today... that God hears our prayers and knows the desires of our hearts. He does not lie in wait to hand out stones when we have asked for bread.

I am thankful for the gift of church family. The one that came by total surprise on a cold rainy day in December.

I asked for a loaf, and He gave me a basket. Lavish, and in His timing. To Him be the Glory.

1 comments:

Kim said...

This made me nod my head and cry.