Monday, April 30, 2012

Random Thoughts: Strength to Strength


Sometimes, early in the morning when all is very quiet, I sneak into my neighbors garden and take pictures.


I've been especially grateful for these few moments alone to enjoy God's creation and to ponder... the last couple weeks I've been restless and fidgety.


These restless, fidgety times come and go-- my mind gets contemplative, my body gets jumpy.  Anxious and agitated, contemplation is heavy; the burden feels permanent. I feel at odds living in the middle of blessings, and yet searching for something lovely to fix my eyes.


I was reminded to actively, intentionally, pursue Christ's love. To remember my dependance on Him is not weakness or burden, but a gift

I had grown weary and my time in the garden encouraged me to pursue beauty as defined by Him; to remember that Christ's work in me is made perfect through my weakness.I had to go back to remembering that above all good things, He is the most lovely.

At times I can't believe its true... that the God who dresses the fields with unimaginable beauty, clothes me in His love and calls me His own.

I instinctively want to hide the blight in my life; those places that don't seem pretty. But I cannot hide myself from Him who willingly fashions beauty from ashes. The one, true and Holy God who gives and takes away; who calls me to share in his sufferings, and feeds me on the fruit of joy... He will lead from strength to strength.


{Psalm 84: 6- 9}

How blessed is the man whose strength is in You,
In whose heart are the highways to Zion!
6 Passing through the valley of Baca they make it a spring;
The early rain also covers it with blessings.
7 They go from strength to strength,
Every one of them appears before God in Zion.  8 O LORD God of hosts, hear my prayer;
Give ear, O God of Jacob!
                     
9 Behold our shield, O God,
And look upon the face of Your anointed.




3 comments:

Gretchen said...

I want to hide in the blight, often, too. Thank you for reminding me of His gift of new life & everlasting love. I can see why your neighbors garden gives such joy in your early morning quiet time.

Unknown said...

I love early morning reflections...before the cares and pursuits of the day have edged their way into our focus and we still have the ability to just think. I loved your words.

Tracey said...

I needed this..it's been a long, weary road and my weaknesses are so very visible.

Beautiful words, beautiful flowers!