Saturday, December 04, 2010

A Little Of This and That on a Saturday Morning

I love technology.

Last night The Girl had her BFF over to spend the night. There was giggling and whispers heard from across the hall.

At 11:30p I knocked on the door and told them I was going to bed. They were quietly tucked under piles of covers, watching the end of a movie. They planned to go to sleep when it was finished.

At midnight I was wide awake, reading a new blog I found:  Attic 24.

The laughter across the hall suddenly began to build. I wasn't slumbering, nor even close, but I was very cozy and warm...I didn't really want to get out of my bed to ask them to be quiet.

So I did the next best thing: I sent The Girl a text, reminding them that it was a bit late.

In about three minutes all was quiet, with an occasional stifled giggle. Which made me smile.

I thought myself very clever.

I asked them this morning if they got my text. They hadn't. They had quieted themselves on their own. Confessing that "after midnight you feel so crazy and wild! We were glad to go to sleep."

I hope she'll say that 10 years from now.

On a completely different note, have you noticed that the 80's are in full-swing fashion these days?

I've noticed the comeback of leg-warmers. I wore those back in the day... only I wore mine as an accessory to shirts with the shoulder parts cut out...I hope those don't come back.

I had nearly a full skein of yarn used for another project and thought I might make The Girl some leg-warmers for Christmas. Unfortunately, I got 9/10th's of the way finished and ran out of yarn...hmmm. I hope they still sell this stuff.


I also found a great pattern at tangled happy. The Girl Scouts pick secret sisters each year at Christmas. Our secret sister will receive this bag.

 It stitched easily and VERY quickly. I did it in 30 minutes, in the car, waiting for piano lessons to be over. So if your so inclined, or you need a quick gift idea, go hook this one up!

All right, the Gigglers are up and have asked for pancakes...an easy request that I am happy to oblige.

Happy Weekend!

7 comments:

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

Pretty sure none of my kids would ever willingly calm down and go to sleep on their own when a friend was sleeping over. They don't seem to understand that there are two parts to that word "sleepover". Sigh.

I need to learn to knit and crochet. Seriously cute stuff you're whipping out these days!

Anonymous said...

hehe love that you sent her a text message!!

Tracey said...

I love the text message, too! You are one hip mom!

Kelli, I cannot tell you how much I love seeing all of your crochet projects. You are so very talented!

Sara said...

Hi Kellie. Thank you so much for posting a link to my little bag. Your photo makes it look so beautiful! I have been reading through your posts and will have to start visiting often. Also I share your enthusiasm for Attic 24. Lucy is so creative and makes such simple thing seem wonderful. Also your profile is awesome. So glad I found you blog!

Carpool Queen said...

Still haven't learned to crochet, BUT, I did learn how to cable knit. Hooray!

PS - Is it Thursday yet?

Sara said...

LOVE the bag and LOVE the text to little darling! That is priceless.

Deidre said...

First, my dad used to make, knit, manufacture (?) leg warmers. I remember when he first started making them, he would MAKE me wear them (cheap advertisement) and no one understood them. That is, until the craze took off and soon, my entire cheerleading squad had them, and well, enough said. This time around, I don't think I can do it :) (Famous last words).

I'm so intrigued with the texting. My 9 yr old wants a phone and I have been adamant of saying 'NO'. But, being able to text her about chores, being quiet or 'get me this' is enough to change my mind :)