Tuesday, May 03, 2011

Deep Thoughts from the Dentist's Office

Hey all - this post was hastily written this morning...Its been a busy week, and its certain to get busier, so I'm going to post, lest I lose the last of my lingering readers. xoxo

~~~~~~
The bad news is that I'm sitting in the waiting room of the orthodontists office.

The good news is that they now have wi-fi!

My head is spinning with all the activity of last weekend. The Girl and I started with a Royal Wedding and then I shipped both babes out for a weekend of camps and fishing.

I have to admit that while I enjoyed time alone with The Mister, I suddenly realized we've come to the time we knew would come -- its just come too soon.

Who knew a decade ago, when I would have begged for a weekend sans kids, that there would come a day when having both kids gone for 48 hours would cause such heartburn.

The Mister and I were awesomely aware that this course of raising children is quickly running short. What seems like a marathon when the hospital-nurse hands you a bundle and sends you on your way is a sprint. Don't even try to catch your breath.

It's going too fast. I don't like it at all.

I guess I don't mind sitting in this waiting room as much as I thought. Because it means I've got kids in my nest and under my wing. Not to mention emptying my pocketbook.

I get asked (a lot) if spending all my time with the kids drives me crazy. "How can you homeschool and be with them all day long?" they ask...

The truth is we do have a lot of quantity time around these woods - and it isn't always peaches and cream. But quality is born of quantity...and even I'm surprised to realize I'm selfish enough to still want more.

I've only been a parent for 13 years. I'm still learning, but I know enough to understand I'm working myself out of a job.

As I enjoyed the blessing of an uninterrupted weekend with The Mister, I could easily see that soon it will be just him and me - every night a date night should we choose...and realized I don't regret one second of time spent with these kids.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

5 comments:

Sarah said...

Had some similar thoughts the other day when trying (unsuccessfully) to shower alone. How right now what I really want is some SPACE, but that in the very near future, they will be all too happy to oblige. I still would like to shower by myself on occasion, but am trying to drink in the sweet scent of their nearness for the time being.

Kim said...

You are going to make me cry!!!! Such truth!

Tracey said...

Ditto! My hubby and I were contemplating a celebratory cruise for our 20th anniversary. We decided that it would be better suited for the 30th because :
1. If we went cruising, there would not be enough in the budget for a family vacation.
2. Oldest girl has only 4 more family vacations before she leaves the nest.
3. I didn't want to be on a cruise and not share the adventure with my entire family.

Right there with you on this journey...warp speed and all!

Beth said...

Thanks for the reminder. :) Beautifully written.

Gretchen said...

I'm only 10 days late in responding to this, but I want you to know that this post SPOKE TO MY HEART. I had parenting pains this week as I dropped my eldest off at youth group. It cut deeply on this momma-heart. Your words were perfect timing.