Friday, August 21, 2009

Welcome to the Slide Show That Used To Be My Blog


So I'm a little late in the Went-to-an-Island-with-Some-Bloggers-and-Here-are-My-Pictures-Game.

Better late than never, you know? This may have to be a two part-er because I have over 50 pictures I would love to share. 

I tried to pick pictures that the Island Girls haven't already shown on their blogs, but since I haven't actually had a chance to look at all 4587 pictures taken between the other Girls, there might be a repeat or two.

We didn't waste anytime with silly niceties or pretense, we threw our hair into ponytails, left the make-up behind, and got our feet dirty in the sea.  Sweet Jenster, our Professional Photog....much of the time this is where she would be, 20 yards behind us, clicking away on Precious the amazing Nikon. Occasionally we'd stop, and let her catch up. The CarPoolQueen also enjoyed the morning as we looked for shells along a sand dollar bed at low tide. She was feeling a little homesick for Target, so Gretchen gave her a Target bag to collect her sea-faring treasures. Speaking of Susan, she may not have Precious, but she can take a mean picture with Moses, her cute iPhone. One of the highlights of this trip was eating at Mosquito Fleet Chili restaurant in Coupeville on Whidbey Island. The motto is Great Food, Great Friends, Great Time. There is nothing false about that slogan, its all true.

Rita was our waitress (and the owner) and this little restaurant is family run. The food was fresh, and the atmosphere was cozy. We walked in famished, two minutes before closing time, but Rita invited us in, set us in a booth with a view, and got us working on a craft while they ladled up our made-from-scratch soup. Before we got there we started on this mile-long pier. Well, it only felt like a mile cuz I was in  NEED of some coffee, and the word on the street was that there was coffee at the end.  The Island Girls moseyed up that pier as if they were on vacation, and try as I may to quicken the pace and keep them on task, I finally snapped a picture of their meandering selves and high tailed it to the coffee shop.  The shot above is one of my favorites. I am actually standing afar, but zoomed in with my camera lens as CPQ is giggling with HisGirlAmber over the purchase she had just made...
CPQ is an adventurous eater, and the call of reindeer sausage was one she couldn't ignore, and not having one stingy bone in her body,  so she was more than willing to share.

Yes, I decided to throw caution to the wind, and I had a bite so that I could say I had eaten one of Santa's fleet with my friends. 

On Sunday we had about an hour before I had to be at the airport, so we quickly went through Pikes Market in downtown Seattle. We found ourselves in the fish market and met these guys. To CPQ's left (your right) is Taho. He was such a personable guy, he asked how we had come to find ourselves in Seattle. I told him we were bloggers from different parts of the country who had met for the first time that weekend. He told us that his wife was a blogger. Go on over to Petals and Moss. You will drool over Jennifer's gardening abilities. I am definitely bookmarking her blog for tips on next years garden.I am amazed at how blogging has made this big world just a little smaller!

I have more pictures of Jenster taking pictures than I do of her not. This was on the ferry heading back to the mainland. By this time I was looking longingly at Precious the amaxing Nikon as if she was a newborn child...I desperately wanted to hold her.
I asked to be photographed with her, but as you can see I didn't hang over the edge of that boat like the Professional. I wrapped that neck strap around my arms a couple times and steered clear of the ledge.


Whew! Such fun times...I cannot believe that it was only two weeks ago, in many ways it feels like it was just a dream that never really took place....

That concludes today's slideshow presentation.

PS: Thank you all for the comments on decorating my family room. Who knew so many of you read my blog! I have taken all your amazing tips and will be putting them to good use...it may be a month or so but I will certainly post the "after" pictures when the room is done!

Happy Friday!

16 comments:

Jenster said...

*sigh* I wish we were back on Whidbey right now! Love your account and your pictures!!

His Girl said...

okay, now I am all dreamy again.

love, love, love these pictures.

and all the little details you remembered.

and you.

xo

His Girl said...

ps: as if they were on vacation! hahaha!

I have the partner picture to that one of us 'lagging' on the pier... you SPEED WALKING toward the coffee.

will have to pull it together and post them soon.

Carpool Queen said...

The only problem with Jenster always lagging behind is that she took waaaay too many butt shots.

Not my better side.

Kendra said...

I want to go to the island!

Tiffani said...

This made me laugh!! So glad to finally hear your version of the story!! ;)

Seems like such a beautiful places but moreso b/c of the people you were with!!

Gretchen said...

A wistful sigh of contentment. For I am thankful. Missing you. Lurving you. Ready for another vaca. :)

Anonymous said...

ooo looks like such an amazing trip. Like one you would read about in a book! Glad you guys had such a wonderful time :-)

Lynn said...

Well Carpoolqueen showed pictures of your chocolate swirl bread and now I must nag you for the recipe. I made some chocolate brioche twists the other night that were a complete disaster (dough that was more like ooze, wouldn't stay firm enough to knead no matter how much flour I added, etc. etc. I will spare you the horrid details). Bottom line is I NEED YOUR CHOCOLATE BREAD RECIPE. Share?

Hillary said...

Thank you so much for mentioning my blog! Looks like you enjoyed your trip to Whidbey Is. and Pike Place. Taho mentioned the blogger Moms that visited and I'm so glad finally to "meet" you. Happy rest-of-the-summer to you.

stephanie j. said...

Oh man, Whidbey. Didn't I tell you it would be WONDERFUL!?

really.truly said...

Loved the slideshow!

The Buntens said...

Oh, how fun!!! Looks like a wonderful time.

Brandy said...

I love how it is to see it from each person's perspective. the same, but different. I love how your shots show so much of people's personality. Really cool.

Amber said...

I love all the pictures that you shared!! And the stories to go with were tons of fun!!!

So glad that you girls had such an amazing opportunity.

Jewel said...

I'm glad you had so much fun, but raindeer sausage? Hmmm...I don't think I would be able to admit that to my kids.

And it looks like the rain didn't dissapoint. You must have been in town in between one of our crazy heat waves this summer.