Friday, June 22, 2012

Five on Friday


one:

I finished the Dahlia Afghan this week. I love it, but was surprised that it isn't quite as big as I thought it would be. I think it will be great in the fall when I am sitting on a soccer field sipping coffee and trying to keep warm, but it isn't quite big enough for a full cover up. The only thing I did differently from the pattern was place an shelled edge around the border. It was just too plain without it.


two:

The Girl and I had planted some Gladiolas in March. They grew up immediately, but never produced flowers. I figured we had done something wrong. Turns out, we were just a little early! They are amazing.


three:

I went berry pickin' with my friend Elisa and her kiddos last week. We picked blueberries and (the BIGGEST) blackberries I had ever seen.


four:

If you need a good but very simple Blueberry Coffee Cake recipe, you can't beat Ina's... so, so good.


five:

I've also been eating granola with greek yogurt and berries for breakfast nearly every day. I promised to share my latest granola recipe. My other favorite granola recipe has more sugar and isn't dairy free, but this one is equally good... I like it even a little better because it isn't quite as sweet.

Granola:

4 cups oatmeal
1.5 - 2 cups combined nuts and seeds*
2 tsp cinnamon
1.5 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp nutmeg
4 - 6 Tbls oil ( I used coconut oil, but I have used melted butter or canola in the past. Using less oil          
                       yields a crumblier granola, more like a cereal than big chunks)
1/2 cup pure maple syrup or honey
2 tsp vanilla

Mix oats, nuts, and spices in a big bowl. Combine oil, syrup, and vanilla in a separate dish and pour over oat mixture. Spread into a greased jelly roll pan, and cooke for 15-20 minutes at 350. Granola will turn golden in color when done. Cooking longer will lend to a crunchier texture.

*I use a combination of walnuts, sunflower seed, pepitas, pine nuts, chopped almonds, whatever I have in my cupboard. I have also added cranberries, but if you add them I would add them to the granola after baking, otherwise they get REALLY dry and hard.)

Enjoy!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love that blanket!!!!! How did u make it? Oh and i live in NC too, Fayetteville to be specific.